Tuesday, October 23, 2007

How Will the 'Christian Right' Vote in 2008?

If it ends up being a choice between Rudy and Hillary, then that leaves Christian conservatives in a quandry. I'm a Christian and am pretty conservative in my values and ethics. These values I hold dear also mean that I'm more social-justice oriented in my ideas on regulation and restraint in a capitalist system. Jesus had a lot to say about caring for the poor, and the Bible in general has a lot to say about protecting the vulnerable. So, neither of these candidates are appealing to me.

What would draw me to vote Republican (values) is not evident in Rudy. Let's see, he's pro-choice, married 3 times, numerous extra-marital affairs, and famously lived with a homosexual couple. Not exactly a poster boy for family values. What would draw me to vote Democrat (social justice) is not evident in Hillary. She acts more like a neo-con than some Republicans in the way she votes in the Senate. Her big-money backing outdoes most Republicans who are always accused of being in bed with big business.

Seriously, this is going to be a bizarre election if these two end up on the ticket. Perhaps a third-party candidate or an independent will begin to look much more appealing...

1 comment:

kc bob said...

Last year I began a new voting practice: I will no longer vote for the lesser of two evils.. I will only vote for someone/something.. not against.

I think that many of us will not vote if it is Rudy vs Hillary.