Tuesday, October 23, 2007

A Deeper and Broader Morality

Sojourners magazine sent me this article. The author writes,

"I'm preparing for a dialogue with Richard Land at the FRC Action's Values Voter Summit tomorrow. This has caused me to reflect on how the definition of "moral values" has changed. Evangelical activism to protect God's creation is now publicly visible in a new way, including Christian concern over global warming. A host of other issues are now part of a broadened and deepened evangelical agenda—most connected to poverty, human rights, and social justice. Even American military and foreign policy has begun to come under critique by Christian scholars (including evangelicals), who focus on the ethics of war and the dubious morality of the U.S. response to terrorism. Slowly, even the media is reporting on the widening evangelical concern over human life and dignity."

I found the article interesting as it is reporting on a phenomenon that I identify with. It describes my journey of discovering the heart of God in new ways. I used to be very limited regarding which issues qualified as my "family values" and which did not make the list. But that has been changing. God has been showing me how important caring for the poor and protecting vulnerable members of society (both nationally and globally) is to Him. Social justice, fair wages, equality, dignity, respect for life. These are family values too.

1 comment:

kc bob said...

Ditto this for me:

"Social justice, fair wages, equality, dignity, respect for life. These are family values too."